Roasted Pumpkin and Red Pepper Spiced Soup
While carving Pumpkins for Halloween I had so much pumpkin left over I really didn’t want to waste it so I had a rummage through the fridge and cupboards for some ideas and came up with this delicious spiced soup.
Using the carved out parts of a pumpkin or the flesh of a small cooking pumpkin
1 Red Pepper
1 small onion
2 teaspoons of Cumin
1 Teaspoon of turmeric
1 Teaspoon of Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon of Chilli powder
1 Teaspoon of Black Mustard seeds
1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
300 ml Vegetable stock
1 Tablespoon of double cream (optional)
1. Peel the Pumpkin pieces and chop up into cubes. Cut the onion and Pepper up into large pieces.
2. Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350F, Gas mark 4) .
3. in a small frying pan heat the Cumin, Turmeric, Coriander, chilli powder, mustard seeds, ginger till fragrant.
4. Place the Pumpkin, onion, Pepper in an oven dish, drizzle with oil, add some salt and pepper then sprinkle over the fragrant spices and mix together so that everything is coated.
5. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
6. Heat the vegetable stock in a saucepan.
7. Add the roasted vegetables.
8. Cook down until the liquid has reduced.
9. Blend the stock and vegetables until smooth.
10. Stir through the cream and serve with some crusty bread.