Pumpkin and Red Pepper Spiced Soup
While carving Pumpkins for Halloween I had so much pumpkin left over I really didn’t want to waste it so I had a rummage through the fridge and cupboards for some ideas and came up with this delicious spiced soup.
Using the carved out parts of a pumpkin or the flesh of a small cooking pumpkin
1 Red Pepper
1 Red Chilli.
1 small onion
1 Clove of Garlic
2 Cm of fresh Ginger peeled and sliced.
2 teaspoons of Cumin
1 Teaspoon of turmeric
1 Teaspoon of Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon of Chilli powder
1 Cardamom pod crushed.
1 Teaspoon of Black Mustard seeds
1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
300 ml Vegetable stock.
2 Tablespoons of coconut milk (optional).
1. Peel the Pumpkin pieces and chop up into cubes. Cut the onion, garlic, ginger, Chilli and Pepper up into large pieces.
2. Heat some oil in a saucepan.
3. Add the Cumin, Turmeric, Cardamom, Coriander, chilli powder, mustard seeds, ginger till fragrant.
4. Add the onion and soften with some seasoning.
5. Add Pepper, garlic Chilli and ginger and soften.
6. Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk into the saucepan.
7. Reduce the liquid by a third through heating.
9. Let the mixture cool.
10. Blend the soup until smooth.
11. Serve with some crusty bread or a roti/chapati or naan.