It’s been a while…. a house move and restoration project along with a busy job have been keeping me away from my recipes!
This quick and easy one was one of those evening meals that you think of when rummaging around the fridge and store cupboard and then came out as a real treat.
Most people like baked beans on toast but plump for a tin.
Once you’ve had it like this you won’t want to eat tinned baked beans anymore I assure you!
So to serve 2 as a tasty week night snack follow the below!
1 Tin of Haricot Beans
1 Tin of Plum Tomatoes
1 Red chilli
1 Teaspoon of Tomato Puree
1 Teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
1 Small Onion
1 Clove Garlic
1 Chicken or Vegetable Stock cube
1 Tablespoon of soft brown sugar.
A splash of Soya sauce.
Grated emmental/cheddar (optional)
1. Dice the onions, garlic and chilli
2. Drain the haricot beans and rinse.
3. Heat some oil in a casserole dish on a hob.
4. While the oil is heating set your oven to heat up to 150 degrees celsius.
5. Add the onions to the oil with a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Once the onions have softened add the garlic and chilli.
7. Add the sugar and soya sauce and caramelise lightly.
8. Add the tomato puree and smoked paprika and mix in well.
9. Add the beans and stir in.
10. Add the tinned tomatoes.
11. Crumble the stock cube into the pan and mix well.
12. Reduce the liquid by about half on the hob then place into the oven with a lid on and bake for around 20 minutes to half an hour or until the sauce is rich and thick.
13. Serve on some fresh bread ( I used rye bread) and grill the grated cheese on top, or alternatively use as an accompaniment to something else .