This is a really easy and simple dish that has a lovely warming North African flavour and can be adapted or simplified so easily.
You could just have the Couscous on it’s own or just have the kebabs with flat breads and a salad.
You can even adapt the Couscous by adding ingredients – chicken, mushrooms etc to make it a full meal in itself which takes only a matter of minutes to make.
The kebabs are just as easily adaptable – I’ve used minced lamb for my kebabs here but you can use chicken, diced lamb, beef, vegetables whatever you fancy really. You can grill or cook them on a barbecue for a nice summer dish.
For the Couscous-
1 Red onion.
1 Clove garlic.
A handful of pitted olives (optional).
1 Tablespoon of Harissa.
1 Teaspoon of tomato puree.
Small squeeze of lemon.
1 Teaspoon of Ras El Hanout.
1 Stock Cube
For the Kebabs –
You can make these kebabs with any meat you wish as
250g Minced lamb.
Kebab Marinade –
1 tablespoon of plain Greek yoghurt.
Some Mint leaves – chopped.
1 Teaspoon Ras El Hanout
2 Teaspoons of harissa.
1 Clove Garlic crushed.
1 Teaspoon of mint sauce (optional).
For the mint yoghurt dip –
4 Tablespoons of plain Greek yoghurt.
Fresh mint leaves.
A sprinkle of Ground onion and ground garlic.
- Mix together the ingredients for the kebab marinade. If using lamb mince mix the marinade into the mince. If using anything else coat the meat/veg in the marinade and put aside in the fridge to marinade preferably for a few hours but doesn’t matter too much if you don’t have the time. Season the kebabs with salt and pepper.
- Chop the mint leaves for the yoghurt dip then stir into the yoghurt along with all the other dip ingredients and put the dip into the fridge.
- Chop/slice the vegetables for the Couscous.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Once heated add the onions and sprinkle over salt/pepper and the Ras El Hanout.
- Once the onions has softened add the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the harissa, tomato puree and lemon.
- Once the vegetables are nice and tender turn the heat off and set aside.
- Heat up the grill for your kebabs.
- Skewer the kebabs.
- Place the kebabs under the grill they should take around 15- 20 minutes to cook through.
- While the kebabs are grilling boil some water in a kettle.
- Once the kettle has boiled get a large bowl, add the couscous and pre cooked vegetable mixture then crumble a stock cube into the couscous too.
- Add 240ml of boiling water give it all a good stir then cover the bowl with a plate and leave the couscous to heat through.
- Finally plate up the Couscous and kebabs and drizzle some of the yoghurt dip over the kebabs.