I love squid but it has to be cooked just right no rubberyness!
I came up with this really easy way to give it a nice crunch and perfect texture.
Best accompanied with Garlic Mayo and a wedge of lemon.
2 large Squids or 3 squid hoods
Sunflower oil for deep frying
A lemon cut into wedges and Garlic Mayonnaise
1. Prepare the squids by removing the outer membrane, removing the bone. Pull the tentacle end apart from the hood end. Cut off the beak and cut up the tentacles.
2. Slice the hoods onto similar size rings.
3. Rinse all the squid under cold water so it’s damp
4. Place Cornflour into a bowl and sprinkle in salt and pepper.
5. Put Polenta in a separate bowl.
6. Dip each piece of squid in the cornflour.
7. Then dip them in the Polenta
8. Heat enough sunflower oil in a wok or deep frying pan to deep fry the squid. Alternatively use a deep fat fryer.
9. Once the oil is hot enough. (You can test this with a corner of a slice of bread it should brown in 60 seconds.) Place a couple of squid rings into the oil.
10. Once they’re just golden and crisp remove from the oil and drain on some kitchen paper then keep warm in the oven.
11. Repeat 10 until all the squid has been cooked.
12. Serve with the Lemon wedges and Garlic Mayo.