Everyone seems to be publishing Chicken Pie recipes recently. Not to sound too big headed but…. whenever I make chicken pie anyone who eats it always says I make the best chicken pie they’ve ever tasted.
There’s a reason for this, it’s much more luxurious and flavoursome than other recipes you’ll see out there.
I hope you like it or give it a go, it’s well worth the effort.
This recipe feeds 4 people.
1 Sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
1 Egg beaten to use for an egg wash
3 Large chicken breasts or 6-8 chicken thigh fillets
1 Clove of garlic
6-8 Chestnut mushrooms
1 Teaspoon of dried tarragon
1 Teaspoon of fresh tarragon
1 Sprig of Thyme
Small grating of nutmeg
1/2 a Teaspoon of sugar
4 Tablespoon of white wine
4 Tablespoon of brandy
1 Tablespoon of French mustard
2 Teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
8 Tablespoons of chicken stock
4 Tablespoons of double cream
Salt and pepper
Flour for dusting
2. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
3. Heat some oil in a pan.
4. Soften the onion in the heated oil adding a sprinkle of Paprika, the sugar, salt and pepper.
5. Add the leek, garlic, dried and fresh tarragon, nutmeg and Thyme leaves to the pan and soften.
6. Add the chicken and colour.
7. Add the brandy, wine, stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard.
8. Slice and add the mushrooms.
9.Stir through and let the liquid reduce by half.
10. Sprinkle a little flour over the mixture and stir in.
11. Once the sauce has thickened a little add the cream.
12. Heat the cream through and turn off the heat to cool.
13. Grease a 7 inch spring form cake tin.
14. Dust a surface or board, Roll out the pastry a little thinner so there is enough to line the cake tin and also make a top.
15. Line the tin with pastry so there is some hanging over the edge.
16. Make the pastry top by using the cake tin as a guide, the top needs to be a little bigger than the diameter of the tin.
17. Add the cooled pie mixture to the empty pastry case.
18. Add the pastry top and seal the top to the pastry pie lining.
19. Crimp the edges with a fork.
20. Egg wash the pie top.
21. Heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
22. Give the pie a second egg wash.
23. Place the cake tin onto a baking tray into the centre of the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.