If you love the flavour of warm home-made bread, either just for yourself to have a slice or two with butter, to serve with food at your dinner party or just to have with your weekend eggs and bacon. This fast easy soda bread recipe is great. It’s crumbly, slightly sweet and goes so well with butter I like it nearly as much as my home-made Sourdough.
200 grams Plain White flour
200 grams Wholemeal Flour
100 grams of dark Rye flour
1 Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
1 Teaspoon of Salt
2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 Tablespoon of Poppy Seeds (plus extra to sprinkle on the top)
1. Heat the oven to 200 degrees c. Prepare a baking tray with parchment.
2. Mix the Flours, Bicarb, salt, poppy seeds in a large bowl, grind in some black pepper.
3. Add the honey and mix in.
4. Add the buttermilk gradually and mix with your hands until the mixture is a slightly wet but firm dough, it doesn’t matter if you don’t use all of the buttermilk.
5. Shape the dough into a ball and press it down with your palm to flatten it. The place it onto the baking tray.
6. Get a sharp knife and cut a cross shape into the top of the dough, let the knife go around ¾ of the way through the dough.
7. Dust with A little flour and some poppy seeds.
8. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes.
9. Serve with nice cold butter.